May 29, 2007

DonB! goes to the East Coast

On May 23rd, I picked up my friend, Mark, and we headed out on the road to Maryland. We encountered no traffic jams in Chicago (that's a rarity), so we arrived in Maryland on the night of the 24th.

The morning of the 25th, we drove about 80 miles to Bethany Beach, Delaware. Mark had never seen the Atlantic Ocean before, so I figured it would be fun. The water was freezing (about 48 degrees I think), and my ankles started getting numb after only 15-20 seconds in the water. Mark, insisting that he had to actually swim in the ocean, really did. He was crazy, and he only stayed in for 8 or 10 seconds. I considered it necessary to point out to Mark that every other SANE individual in the water that day had a wetsuit on. It didn't phase Mark.

We then headed back to Sandy Cove Ministries and presented my first show, the "Professional Goofball Show". This was the first time Sandy Cove has had a family camp on Memorial weekend. They had over 500 people there! I think it was enough of a success that they'll do it again next year.

On Saturday the 26th, Mark and I left Sandy Cove and drove to Washington D.C. Mark had never been there; he grew up in Iowa (pray for him). We saw the US Capital, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial and the White House.

Being that it was Memorial weekend, we also visited the Korean War Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and the World War II Memorial. There were 1000s of motorcycles there, because the group, Rolling Thunder, puts on the Memorial Weekend events at the capital. The war memorials were very humbling,when you realize how many hundreds of thousands have given their lives so that we in the United States can have the many freedoms we do. It really bothers me when I hear U.S. citizens grumble about the U.S. and its "many faults", yet they grumble while driving to the good job they have, in the car that they paid for with the high wages that they were able to earn, on the way from the home that they are allowed to own, after kissing their 3 children (that weren't limited by the government), listening to the free radio waves that are not solely political channels, driving by the capital that houses the offices of the elected officials that they voted for, that work alongside a president that they don't even support. Sometimes it feels as if we live in the "Divided States of America". Pray for unity for our country and all of its citizens at this time. Let's concentrate on the "United" part of the United States. ---(getting off my soapbox now)---

Mark & I then headed back to Sandy Cove to do my second program, The "Doctor of Merriment" show. It went so well. The entertainment was fun, and I really felt as if the message was as clear as it has ever been. It's amazing how God can use each one of us to minister to others, usually in ways that we can't even imagine. This whole weekend was a great time of doing touristy things, performing, ministering and visiting with friends.

Saturday night after the program we drove to Mount Airy, Maryland, to stay with my good friends Dave & Rachel. We didn't get much time to visit, but it is always good to see them and their family.

You never know what you'll find on your trips, but click here to see an odd one.

I dropped Mark off at his house around 2 PM on Monday, and I headed home to a BIG SURPRISE:

Deanna was riding down the street on a unicycle! Why is that so BIG? Because until yesterday, she was the only one in our family that didn't ride one yet. Now, our entire family rides unicycles. I foresee a cool addition to some of the shows, when all 4 of us come riding out onstage on unicycles. It has become a total family affair. Now THAT's cool! I'm so proud. I'll post a photo as soon as I can. And, remaining true to my promise, that if/when each of our kids learns to ride a unicycle, I will buy them one of their own, I ordered Deanna her own unicycle. When I think about it, this trip keeps costing me more and more...

Thanks again to all of you for your support in this ministry. I never imagined the amazing doors that would open for me over the years. I can ONLY imagine the new paths that still lay ahead. God is amazing me, day after day.

DonB!

No comments:

Post a Comment