October 29, 2009

Home after touring, but only for a few days


Recently I've had the opportunity to perform with two of my favorite illusionists. The first one is a friend that I made way back in 1989, when Debbie & I travelled with his illusion show, Toby Travis. Toby was in Minnesota performing in Lindstrom, and he invited me to perform some of my things in the shows. I had a great time, and was able to swap life stories with Toby once again.

After the programs (we did 2 of them) we looked through the comment cards, and I found 2 that mentioned me.

This one reads: "DonB - you're a dynamo!
The other one simply said:


I also have been traveling for the last 12 days with illusionist, Harris III, and his show, "Sens de Vie". As stated in a previous entry, there are 10 of us on the road for this tour. Harris, his wife, Katie, Beth (road manager), David (sound engineer), Adam (lighting engineer), the 3 girls from Everlife, their friend, Aaron, and myself.

On my last flight to meet them, I boarded the plane right behind actor, Hugh Grant. I had actually been talking with him in the terminal for 10 minutes before realizing who he was. I didn't want to hound him for a picture, so this is as good as it gets. I know, no photography awards for me.



I had some time while on tour to do a little sight seeing and geocaching, and while out running around, Adam & I found this place:

It is where Jimmy Buffet got his start as a college student playing music on campus. If you look in the lower tight hand corner you can see his name listed along with other greats that have performed at this club.

On the entire tour, we played to sold-out houses, and received very warm standing ovations at the end of every show.

My own personal moment is as all of us are introduced to run out onstage for our final bows, I get many loud whoops and hollers when I run out there. I love to know that the audience appreciates what I do in the show. Warm fuzzies...

Here is a strange picture I took of the Sawing in Half illusion sitting under the glowing red of the backstage lamps. This is one of my favorite illusions in the entire show. For the last 2 performances, Sarah, from Everlife, was the lady that was sawn in half. Neat integration of her into the illusion part of the show.


I'll finish up with some fun, random photos taken while on tour. Here they are...

Getting ready to go onstage and spin my plates. I set a new record: 16 plates broken in one show. That's a lot of trips to the Dollar Store.


Our second show took place in this auditorium. What you can barely see are the full extended bleachers on each side that were full about an hour after this picture was taken. They were a VERY excited crowd.

Amber, Julia and Sarah
Everlife


Katie Harris, playing Jazz Singer-like dress-up backstage during set-up.

Don, David & Adam, out geocaching on the campus of the college where we performed that night.

I leave you with some words of wisdom from 2 Corinthians:

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

DonB!

No comments:

Post a Comment