May 7, 2008

Ministry Report

Last week was a nice week. It was the first shows I've had after a really slow April.

On April 29th, Mike Norton and I presented a version of the "Grin Doctors" show in Garrison, MN, as a fundraiser for the Senior Community Alliance. It is a group of people that raise money to help folks in the community that need a little extra funding, or need manual labor help to complete work on thier homes or in their commmunity. We presented the show at the Blue Goose Inn, located on the shores of Lake Mille Lacs. The turn-out wasn't what they were hoping for, but they raised about $1000.00 for their projects. The show was organized by Pastor Mike Paulkie, a friend of our from the Garrison Alliance Church. He had the same vision as we did: the program was a way to show the good that the community, and the local churches, can do for the people of Garrison. It was a success according to Pastor Mike.

On May 1st I drove up to Fargo, North Dakota, and presented the "Professional Goofball Show" for Oak Grove Lutheran School. I had the opportunity to use the program to show how God really does have a special plan for each of our lives, and that when we choose to include God in our life, he can do amazing things beyond anything we could ever expect or imagine. The program was the last thing of the day at the school, so many kids stayed around for about 45 minnutes talking and asking questions. Kids are so cool with the questions and ideas they have. I then ended up signing about 70 autographs. So much fun.

That evening, Jim Sanders, from Century Financial Advisors, invited me to perform and speak at his client appreciation dinner (he also sponsored the school show in the afternoon). The neat thing was that Jim is a firm Christian and asked me to present my testimony and a challenge to the attendees at the dinner. I told them about my short time on the circus, and how it led me to become a Christian. I challenged the folks that within all aspects of their own lives, to include God, and the free gift that he offers of his Son, Jesus Christ, the goals and objectives have a much deeper meaning and purpose. It was a very fun group of people, and responsive to all parts that I talked about. Thanks, Jim, for the opportunity to share my faith with kids and adults, all within the same day. God is good. All the time.

After the Fargo evening program, I packed up and drove the 4.5 hours down to Minneapolis. I slept for 3 hours and then headed for the airport to catch a 6 AM flight to Bloomington, Illinois. Because of lightning, I was delayed in Chicago for 4 hours, arriving in Bloomington with just enough time to get set-up and ready for a show there. Bloomington Evangelical Free Church has built a beautiful new multi-purpose sanctuary/gymnasium, and I was asked to be the opening night speaker/entertainer. 200 people were expected, but I think there were closer to 300-350 in attendance, all sitting on the floor around the front of the new stage. I did a 50 minute program, including my testimony, emphasizing the personal invite that was given to me at 19 years old, to attend church with some friends, and how it was because of that invitation that I heard the Gospel presented in a way that I understood it. I encouraged those that were visitors that night to come back again and hear more about Christianity in its simplest form. Click HERE to read more, in another newsletter posting.

I then flew back to Minnesota and rested, but not for long.

Last night, Mike Norton & I tried something brand new. In preparation for the upcoming Music Boat Cruise we are both working on, we did a program for the seniors in our church, and presented all brand new routines and material. These were routines that neither of us had ever done in front of a live audience. Ever. And, yes, we were both a little nervous. The good thing about the program was that our audience was probably the most forgiving one ever. The funny parts got the laughs, the singing got the oohs and aahs (I didn't do the singing), the bowling ball got gasps of surprise, and Mike and I were able to test out some new stuff. I think we both learned some details about the routines that we presented. Some routines worked great, while others still need a little tweaking in order to be fully ready for our shows. Overall, it was a great night of potluck food, great fellowship with the folks in our church, and one step closer to adding in new material to our shows.

God is good. All the time. Whether we acknowledge it, or accept it, is up to us.

Blessings to you all.

DonB!

No comments:

Post a Comment